EverLife LP™ Paved a Bridge in Ontario
SPECIALTY ASPHALT CEMENTS
McAsphalt’s Technical Services Team took on the challenge to develop a specialty EverLife LP™ mix to better help the industry protect its bridge decks against the ingress of water and brine/de-icing chemicals. The mix was used for the first time in Southern Ontario from a conventional asphalt plant located 120 kilometers away from the job site and had a discharge temperature of 150°C and a placement temperature of 135°C while using conventional paving equipment.
The mixture after placement was assessed for permeability and long-term fatigue behaviour under extreme repetitive stresses that would be expected from heavily loaded traffic coupled with extreme temperatures. The fatigue test results indicated five times more durability for EverLife LP™ compared to a heavy-duty surface mixture designed for highways and bridges in Ontario.
The recommended use for Everlife LP™:
- Can be used in lieu of a hot-applied water proofing membrane or, ideally, in combination with a hot-applied membrane
- Due to its waterproofing characteristics, EverLife LP™ is best suited for being applied on bridge decks, elevated concrete highway decks, parking garages, toll booths, elevated ramps and approach areas
- EverLife LP™ is especially well suited for areas of heavy duty channelized traffic and areas subjected to high stresses and heavy loading
- EverLife LP™ is designed to exhibit exceptionally high fatigue life and is able to withstand the high strains and movement of concrete structures without loss of performance
- EverLife LP™ is a simple and a cost effective replacement for specialty proprietary and/or reactive mixes such as epoxy asphalt, etc.
Clean Bond Coat (CBC) is the most state-of the-art anionic or cationic asphalt emulsion available for high performing tack coat applications. CBC is formulated for a fast cure, leaving a non-tracking tack coat minutes after application. Upon placement of the new hot mix asphalt, heat from the new layer will liquefy the residual high-modulus asphalt tack, and an excellent bond will be formed between the existing and new hot mix courses.